We know it’s only October, but we also know you have a busy lifestyle. Preparing early for winter can help ease your mind and make the winters here in the northeast enjoyable. Start now by creating a checklist, this will take the sting out of cold temperatures when winter weather comes to town.
Winter Preparation Tips & Checklists for Stoneledge Terrace Residents
These tips go for anyone in upstate New York, so we encourage you to share them! Let’s start where most people have the most trouble: Vehicles.
Have a mechanic inspect your car or truck for any potential problems long before the first snow-flakes.
That means checking these:
Get some sand bags from the hardware store, especially if you have an SUV or pickup truck. Place the sandbags in your trunk or elsewhere in your car. The extra weight from these sand bags will help you grip the slick roads better.
Add a shovel, windshield scraper, and first aid kit to your trunk. It helps to travel with a portable cell phone battery that’s fully charged. While it can’t be left in your vehicle, you can take it with you whenever you go for a drive. Throw a crank radio, snacks, and flashlights in the trunk, too.
You can rest easy knowing that your Stoneledge Terrace apartment and the building is well-insulated. However, it always helps to have the following in the event of a storm or power out-age:
- Extra blankets
- Weather-specific clothing and accessories
- Flashlights and fresh batteries
- Candles (never leave them burning without supervision)
You should also consider doing the following:
- Cover windows with clear plastic to retain more heat and push back on cold, windy air. This will help you save on heating costs!
- Stock up on canned foods (and a hand-crank can opener)
- Make an emergency contact list that includes not just police and fire, but family too
- Change the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors
Before the first snow flies and you make plans to go skiing, sledding, or meet friends for hot chocolate by the fire, make sure you are as prepared as possible for the winter weather that the northeast is notorious for. Being prepared ensures you stay comfortable and safe all season long.
Just leave the plowing to us – we’ve got you covered!Tweet