The Capital Region is the metropolitan region that surrounds New York State’s capital, Albany, and is the home of many interesting things to see and do!
To help you learn more about the Capital Region and all it has to offer, let’s look at 7 spots that you should consider visiting when you move here.
1. Downtown Troy – This one is easy to access if you become a resident of Stoneledge Terrace Apartments! This charming and vibrant downtown is bustling with boutiques, restaurants, art galleries and more. A year-round farmers market takes place every Saturday morning! Just outside downtown, don’t miss your opportunity to cheer on the Tri-City ValleyCats with the area’s top baseball fans.
2. Peebles Island State Park – Situated where the Mohawk and Hudson rivers meet, this gorgeous state park attracts plenty of walkers and joggers, and is located just a few minutes from Troy! You can escape the city and be walking an island in just 10 minutes! This park is filled with wonderful trails that wind through the serene and woodsy landscape.
3. The State Capital – Just 15 minutes from Troy, the government buildings and grounds of New York State’s capital are a great place to spend a day exploring. Walk around Empire State Plaza (Empire “Skate” Plaza during the winter). This complex is composed of a grouping of state government buildings and it is located in the downtown core of Albany. Construction of the Empire State Plaza took about ten years and started in the mid-1960s. The complex cost two billion dollars to build!
You can also visit the New York State Museum, and see the New York State Capitol building. Have a picnic in Albany’s Washington Park, and at the end of the day, enjoy dinner on Lark Street, just a few blocks away from Empire State Plaza.
4. Grafton Lakes State Park – This beautiful park, just 20 minutes from downtown Troy, features six ponds and abundant acreage (2500 acres). One park highlight is its Long Pond, which features a big and sandy beach. People looking to fish adore the park, as do hikers, picnickers and families looking to barbecue and swim.
5. Schenectady – Schenectady is another vibrant city in the Capital Region, and has tons of attractions for residents and visitors. Grab dinner at one of the many downtown restaurants, and catch a show at Proctor’s Theatre. Have children? Take them to the Museum of Innovation and Science!
6. Saratoga – Experience thoroughbred horse racing at its finest by visiting the legendary Race Course. Then, spend a little time in downtown Saratoga and drink in the city’s appealing atmosphere. Fun things to do in downtown Saratoga include walking Broadway, its main street, visiting the Saratoga Automobile Museum and taking a stroll through pretty and soothing Yaddo Gardens!
7. Thatcher Park – This state park is known for its amazing fossils and features six miles of dramatic and mesmerizing limestone cliffs. If you want to enjoy some stellar hiking in a splendid environment, you’ll adore this popular park. Take a guided tour in order to see the best sights and learn more about the history of the area.
These are only the beginning of the many things you can do as a resident of Stoneledge Terrace. Hopefully, our helpful guide will assist you with putting together the perfect itinerary for your weekends, your evenings and any other time you get to try something new in our area!Tweet